If you’ve resolved to reduce your energy consumption in 2017 and save money in the process, then you'll enjoy these five ways to save energy by cutting electricity.
1. Use the sun to your advantage. To take advantage of the sun’s rays, keep your curtains open during the day, especially on the south side of your home where there’s more direct sunlight. Close curtains at night to reduce drafts.
2. Raise Door Thresholds. If you see daylight under your front door, then you’re losing indoor air you’ve paid to heat. A bit of light in the corners is okay, but adjusting the height will eliminate gaps where heated air is escaping from your home. Avoid raising thresholds too high so that the door doesn’t drags across and wear out weatherstripping.
3. Log Out and Shut Down. Unused computers consume energy and tend to warm your office space, pushing up air conditioning costs.
4. Clean or replace your furnace’s filter often during winter months. Furnaces use less energy when they “breathe” more easily. Follow instructions in your furnace manufacturer’s manual.
5. Keep furniture, carpeting and curtains from blocking your home’s heat registers and air return ducts.