Apple Season is just around the corner. When you want something sweet but not a heavy dessert, baked apples are just the thing. They take just 5 minutes to make and the end result is sweet, tender apples with a delicious pecan filling. Top yours with low fat vanilla ice cream and a little drizzle from your favorite homemade caramel sauce. It’s perfection.
- 4 good-quality apples (We prefer red apples, but baking apples like Granny Smith work well too!)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 TBSP butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- Caramel sauce, for topping, optional
- Low-fat Vanilla Ice cream, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove apple stems and seeds and make a deep hole where the filling will go.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and mix well. Add the nuts and then spoon mixture evenly into each of the apples.
- In a small baking dish, add water and place apples on top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool before eating.
- Serve with low-fat vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.