Can’t make it to the French Quarter this year? No problem. With this easy jambalaya recipe you can have one “last hurrah” before lent begins on Ash Wednesday.
· 2 tsp olive oil
· 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
· 8 ounces kielbasa, diced
· 1 onion, diced
· 1 green bell pepper, diced
· 1/2 cup diced celery
· 2 TBSP chopped garlic
· 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
· 1/2 tsp onion powder
· salt and ground black pepper to taste
· 2 cups uncooked white rice
· 4 cups chicken stock
· 3 bay leaves
· 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
· 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1. In a large pot heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium high heat.
2. Saute chicken and kielbasa for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Then stir in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and season with cayenne, onion powder, salt and pepper.
3. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion is tender and translucent.
4. Add rice, then stir in chicken stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
5. Finally, stir in the Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. You can add more to your liking.