Making others feel appreciated doesn’t have to be limited to gift giving during the holidays and at birthdays. Here are our top ten picks for how to make others feel appreciated.
1. Thank-you notes. With today’s busy pace, fewer and fewer of these are written. A Thank-you note can make someone’s day.
2. When your friend is explaining her problem to you, listen intently without offering any solutions or advice. Listening is an act of appreciation.
3. When you’ve made a mistake, admit it immediately. A little personal responsibility can go a long way.
4. Ask how she feels about an event or situation. This will show how important your friend’s opinions and feelings are to you.
5. Tell her you believe in her. This may be just what she needs to hear during hard times or on a bad day.
6. Notice when she changes something about her physical appearance. It says you pay close attention.
7. After meeting someone new, follow up the next day with an email or handwritten note. It shows the dedication you have to starting off on the right foot.
8. When you introduce her, say something kind about her accomplishments and about your friendship. Expressing our admiration and respect should be done often.
9. Tell her how she has made a difference in your life. This is something few of us tell our friends.
10. Celebrate her successes. True friends don’t compete, they complement each other.