Based on a Dominican Children's favorite breakfast dish, Vanilla and Chocolate Maicena Pudding is the perfect comforting dessert.
This recipe takes 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook. Serves 6
· 6 cups of whole milk
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· 1½ cup of sugar
· Seeds of 2 vanilla pods, or ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
· ½ cup of cornstarch
· ½ cup of toasted coconut flakes
· Mix together milk, salt, and sugar, then add in cornstarch. For vanilla maicena pudding, add vanilla seeds or cocoa powder if making chocolate. Be sure to sieve to eliminate undissolved solids.
· Next, pour mixture into a pot and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking. Once liquid breaks a boil, reduce heat and continue stirring until it has thickened to the same consistency as condensed milk.
· Remove from heat and pour into another bowl, stirring until pudding has cooled to room temperature. Once cooled, pour into small serving cups, sprinkle with toasted coconut and chill.
*** For a vegan version, use almond milk.