The holidays are just around the corner and for those of us hosting a lot of family in a little space, here are some ideas for easing the impact of crowding:
· Consider a daybed or futon instead of a couch in your living room. Daybeds and futons can transform a living room into a guest bedroom in a matter of minutes.
· If a daybed or futon isn’t an option, turn to a good quality air mattress. An air mattress gives you the freedom to make virtually any space, except the bathroom, into a comfortable place for your family and guests to sleep.
· Clear the clutter as best you can so your family can stow their luggage. When out of town guests arrive they’ll feel more comfortable having a place to put their things. The clearer your floor space, the more places they’ll have for their things besides the kitchen table.
· Make sure your bathroom door closes and locks, you have plenty of spare rolls of toilet paper and other supplies handy in your bathroom. The more you can maximize privacy for everyone, the better the visit will be.
· Respect your out of town family’s privacy, schedule and space, especially if they are sleeping in your living room. If they typically turn in earlier than you, consider sleeping on the couch in your living room and making your bedroom the guest room so you can stay up as late as you want.
· One way to make your living room more like a bedroom is to place a lamp next to the sleeping area, have an extra set of pillows on hand as well as towels and blankets close at hand. Keep things as cozy and convenient as possible.