With the holidays over, you deserve to take some time to relax and give back to yourself. Here are five tricks for giving back to you.
1. Aromatherapy. Scents have a powerful effect on us because they’re the best and fastest way to reach the mood center of our brains is through our nose! Inhaling essential oils can transform our mood. Essential oils with grounding properties help calm your mind so you can refocus. To calm occasional stress and anxiety try Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica), Frankincense (Boswellia carterii), Idaho Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea), Idaho Blue Spruce (Picea pungens), Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood (Santalum paniculatum), or Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides).
2. Listen to Relaxing Music. You can find relaxing music on YouTube, or music apps like Pandora or Spotify.
3. Take a walk outdoors in the fresh air. When you experience a change of scenery it gives your mind lots of stimuli to focus on rather than what you’ve been stressing about. Give yourself a chance to slow down and admire the flowers or listen to the birds.
4. Massage therapy works wonders but if you don’t have the funds for this on a regular basis, consider simple tools like a foam roller, massage therapy balls, or tennis balls and use the ground or a wall to work on yourself.
5. Allow yourself to be creative. Whether you choose to express your creativity through cooking, painting, knitting, jewelry making or coloring, doing crafts is a great way to relieve stress.