This slow cooker pot roast recipe lives up to its name!
- 1 chuck roast (about 3 lbs.)
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 lbs. potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 TBSP corn starch
SEASONING MIX :
- 2 TBSP steak seasoning (blend of peppercorns, garlic, paprika, parsley and salt)
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- 1 TBSP dried rosemary
- In a small bowl, combine seasoning mix ingredients and set aside.
- Coat both sides of meat with olive oil. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the seasoning mix onto each side.
- Sear both sides of the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle a small amount of olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning mix. Then add vegetables to the same skillet used to sear the meat. Sauté for about five minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Transfer vegetables to the top of the roast in the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- For gravy, use a turkey baster, collect most of the cooking juices from the slow cooker and transfer to a small sauce pan, bringing to a simmer over medium heat on the stovetop. Whisk together cornstarch with a little water and blend into the pan juices while whisking. Bring back to a simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place roast and vegetables on a serving platter, then ladle gravy over the top and serve.